So writing a blog about massive home renovations is kind of tough to do when your life is taken over by a massive home renovation!
Here’s the to-do list. It’s a looooooong one. I’ll put pictures of the stuff that’s been done here and then start writing about what we’re doing in real time.
First there’s the legal and paperwork stuff. BOR-ing. But it has to get done.
1. File ANR with the town planning board: ANR stands for “approval not required” and is the process required to consolidate the 7 lots back into 1 parcel. I am currently in the middle of red tape hell on this one.
2. File a NOI with the conservation commission: NOI stands for Notice of Intent and is the first step in getting permission from the Conservation powers that be to make any changes to the front of the property as the house sits within a 100′ buffer zone of a few wetland areas. We are proposing to move the driveway and pave it, run gas from the street, cut down a few trees, put up a fence and remove a large pile of fill.
And now for the fun stuff…
3. Title V Inspection (for septic tank) – DONE, and amazingly it passed!
4. Clear cut landscape around the house – DONE! The landscape/demo crew we hired was AWESOME, so reasonably priced and fast! They even helped us remove a 30 yard dumpster worth of trash from the barn and trash pile in the backyard. Email me if you’re in the area and need a good landscaper/contractor referral.
5. Clear trash from the house and barn – DONE, we filled 3 gigantic dumpsters!
6. Demo interior (bathroom, kitchen, select interior walls) – DONE!
7. New roof and gutters – DONE!
8. Install steel reinforcements in a few places to remove some awkward support posts and widen the door to the kitchen/great room – DONE!
9. Upgrade electric system to 200 amp service – DONE!
10. Restore exterior of the house – IN PROGRESS.
11. Restore water service to house – IN PROGRESS. Water meter is back in but many lines needs to be replumbed due to lack of winterization.
12. Frame/drywall new walls for bedrooms and downstairs living area – IN PROGRESS.
13. Fix/restore interior stairs.
14. New floors up and downstairs.
15. New kitchen.
16. New bathrooms.
17. New heating/cooling system and hot water heater.
18. Clean chimney, replace hearth and install wood stove.
19. Prep barn for animals – IN PROGRESS.
20. Clean and seal interior log walls and ceilings.
21. White wash tongue in groove wood ceilings.
22. Upgrade/Install lighting throughout the house.
23. Screen in side porch.
24. New driveway with gas installation.
25. New windows throughout.
26. New interior and exterior doors.
I think that’s it?
I leave you with a glimpse of camper life. We’re not killing each other yet!
Incredible, what can we do to help?
WOw. I am amazing at progress in such a short period of time. The House is looking amazing already. your son is working very hard lol. May God give you the strength that you need to accomplish this task. beautiful
You guys are truly amazing!
Tori, I can’t believe all that is DONE already! I know you are overwhelmed, and the red tape is the pits, but I’m praying for peace for you and Jaime both. Good job you guys! The house looks amazing already! You were RIGHT, great potential in that property…even if there “is not a house on the property.” Keep it up! 🙂